listen here

Patriot Broadcast From the Trenches Schedule 

Connecticut attorney general says Newtown legal claim misguided

Yahoo News – by Edith Honan | Reuters

(Reuters) – A $100 million claim filed against the state of Connecticut in the wake of a school shootingthat left 20 children and six adults dead two weeks ago is misguided, Connecticut’s attorney general said in a statement on Monday.

Last week, a New Haven-based attorney filed an intention to sue the state on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor of the December 14 attack – the second deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

Under Connecticut law, any claim against the state must be approved by the state claims commissioner before it can move forward. The state attorney general serves as the state’s defense attorney.

“Our hearts go out to this family, and to all the children and families affected by the Newtown shootings,” Attorney General George Jepsen said in a statement. “They deserve a thoughtful and deliberate examination of the causes of this tragedy and of the appropriate public policy responses.”

A public policy response by the U.S. Congress and the Connecticut state legislature would be “more appropriate” than legal action, said a spokeswoman for Jepsen.

“Although the investigation is still under way, we are aware of no facts or legal theory under which the State of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hook Elementary School,” the statement added.

Connecticut attorney Irv Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr.

Vance said on Monday that he has not yet seen the claim and could not comment on a pending legal matter.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard “cursing, screaming, and shooting” over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School, according to the claim.

Pinsky’s claim said that the state Board of Education, state Department of Education and state education commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from “foreseeable harm” and had failed to provide a “safe school setting.”

“We all know it’s going to happen again,” Pinsky said last week. “Society has to take action.”

Pinsky said he was approached by the child’s parents within a week of the shooting. He did not immediately respond to a request for a comment on Monday.

The shooting, in which Lanza took his own life, has prompted extensive debate about gun control and the suggestion by the National Rifle Association that schools be patrolled by armed guards. Police have said the gunman killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, at their home in Newtown before going to the school about 5 miles away.

Earlier on Monday, a spokesman for Adam Lanza’s father, Peter Lanza, said the family had claimed the gunman’s body from the state medical examiner’s office. Plans for Lanza’s burial were not disclosed.

(Additional reporting by Chris Francescani; Editing by Dan Burns, Leslie Gevirtz and Maureen Bavdek)

(This story was corrected to fix the school name to Sandy Hook in the sixth and ninth paragraphs)

http://news.yahoo.com/100m-claim-against-connecticut-school-shooting-dropped-162711362.html

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.
1988
Don't forget to answer the Security Question before you post comment.

5 Responses to Connecticut attorney general says Newtown legal claim misguided

  1. .BS…they are all involved and they know that a law suit will uncover the BS and holes in their “official story”…..let us start by asking that dunce-of-a-Conn. State Trooper and his proclamation that any stories posted on social media that does into fit their story will be arrested…what an ass-clown….I say a law suit will bring out what happened into the public….let us do that….starting with that State Trooper…

    Regards,

    RJ O’Guillory
    Author-
    Webster Groves – The Life of an Insane Family

    • NC says:

      That is exactly what I was thinking, too, RJ, which is why I sent this in. They know that if they go through the lawsuit, they will have to change their story again and it will complicate matters even more for them. I’m thinking the attorney who brought up this lawsuit knows that he can get a quick payoff to keep quiet on the matter and to prevent the hoax incident from being investigated any further if he plays his cards right. The old blackmail game.

  2. BloodStock says:

    My first thought was that the lawsuit will attempt to serve the anti-2nd Amendment crowd. It should be interesting to say the least. Most importantly though, again it is proof positive that neither the school, the state, nor the government can protect you better than you can yourself when armed. * Let’s remember the official story on 9/11. Cave dwellers with box cutters defeated the most sophisticated security in the world. And we are supposed to trust these folks with the security of our families? No thank you!

    • TranceAm says:

      Well the whole 911 story gave the Americans a slogan and war cry to engage hijackers.. Even the ones that are dug in like Alabama Ticks (Jesse Ventura in Predator) in Government positions.

      “Lets Roll!!!”

  3. Rick Armin says:

    There is no tragedy so big or so small that some sleazy bastards won’t try to make a fast buck off of it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

What is 12 + 7 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)