listen here

Patriot Broadcast From the Trenches Schedule 

New York newspaper removes gun permit database from website after outcry

Fox News

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. –  A suburban New York newspaper that outraged gun owners by posting the names and addresses of residents with handgun permits removed the information from its website Friday.

The Journal News took down the data just three days after the state enacted a gun control law that included privacy provisions for permit holders.

The provisions were a reaction to interactive maps the newspaper published on LoHud.com that pinpointed thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties.

Gun rights activists had immediately complained that permit owners’ privacy was being violated. They said the map could guide burglars to their homes while police groups claimed the map could lead ex-convicts to the officers who had put them away.

The addresses of some Journal News staffers were posted online, and threats were called in to the newspaper’s offices. The newspaper hired armed guards in response.

Janet Hasson, president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group, said in an emailed statement, “While the new law does not require us to remove the data, we believe that doing so complies with its spirit.”

She said the maps had been viewed nearly 1.2 million times since they were published Dec. 23. The newspaper sought the records under the state Freedom of Information Law after the Dec. 14 elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman who had killed his mother at home killed 20 first-graders and six educators and then committed suicide.

The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.

State Sen. Greg Ball, the most vocal opponent of the posting, said, “Thank God The Journal News has finally realized the error in their judgment and done the right thing. … I am proud to have passed legislation keeping The Journal News from doing this ever again.”

On Tuesday, as part of a gun control bill, the state Legislature passed and Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed new regulations that give permit holders several ways to opt out of the public record.

Applicants can ask to be exempted because they are police officers or served on criminal-case juries or are victims of domestic violence. They also can just say they might be subjected to harassment.

Hasson said Friday, “One of our core missions as a newspaper is to empower our readers with as much information as possible on the critical issues they face, and guns have certainly become a top issue since the massacre in nearby Newtown, Conn.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/18/new-york-newspaper-removes-gun-permit-database-from-website-after-outcry/#ixzz2IQbyCG5B

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.
1195
Don't forget to answer the Security Question before you post comment.

2 Responses to New York newspaper removes gun permit database from website after outcry

  1. come-and-take-it says:

    Sending the Journal News junk emails about their journalistic excellence was fun. After about 200 of my friends did the same multiple times, I’m sure that it became much easier for them to take the list down. It’s called “fun with trash”, I just haven’t figured out if the trash was electronic or human.

    Gandhi was right, non-violent resistance has it’s place.

  2. # 1 NWO Hatr says:

    A tad late for that, I’d say.

    It’s not like everyone that wanted to hasn’t already made hard copies by now.

    Hope those armed guards are costing those morons a small fortune.

    Idiots.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

What is 5 + 2 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
IMPORTANT! To be able to proceed, you need to solve the following simple math (so we know that you are a human) :-)